Saturday, July 04, 2009

FOURTH OF JULY B-WESTERN CATTLE DRIVE


Something about the Fourth of July just screams B-movie western to me, and this year I’ve really been in the mood. Here are one-sheets from some that I’ve been lucky enough to ride the trail with recently. Sometimes the posters are better than the movies, sure, but these oaters, each and every one the definition of a programmer, have really filled the bill in satisfying my yearning for hitting the westward trail mid-50s Hollywood style. Check ‘em out some lazy Sunday afternoon and see if I ain’t truthful, pilgrim.






**********************************************************

3 comments:

The Mysterious Ad[ri.an B)e;ta]m.a.x. said...

I got that same B-western hankering after splitting Tumbleweed with you. At home, I have a Randolph Scott triple-feature DVD: The Man Behind the Gun/Thunder Over the Plains/Riding Shotgun -- 1 by Felix Feist, 2 by Andre de Toth.

I watched The Man Behind the Gun (1953) by Felix Feist. It's got some fabulous unique stuff in it, although it doesn't pack a wallop due to a lack of great themes (individual struggles or otherwise, which some of the great directors managed to work into their B movies) and ends up being too light and forgettable. But there was a great visual sensibility that sparkled, albeit only intermittently. (Bert Glennon D.P.'d)

Roy Roberts was in both movies, which added to that comfy feeling.

P.S. - You are unduly excited! (Dude sent me Tumbleweed poster all excited about it.)

The Mysterious Ad[ri.an B)e;ta]m.a.x. said...

I like Allan Dwan's Cattle Queen of Montana, although I find his Tennessee's Partner (1955) even better. It's like the best movie Ronald Reagan ever acted in (not that I've seen them all), except his acting still kind of sucked! It's just the best film he happened to be associated with.

Peter Nellhaus said...

I can vouch for two of the westerns, having posted on Duel at Silver Creek and Cattle Queen of Montana. Back when I had cable, I loved tuning onto the Western Channel when I was sick, kind of like cinematic comfort food.