Wednesday, January 03, 2007

LOCAL (BROOKLYN) BOY MAKES REAL GOOD!


We’re not three days into 2007, and already great news from the blogosphere: comrade, film critic, filmmaker, House-keeper and all-around good guy Matt Zoller Seitz has gone and got himself a new job… at the New York Times!

It won’t come as much of a surprise to anyone who reads this blog how much I appreciate Matt’s writing, The House Next Door, his friendship and even his occasional presence around these parts. Here’s hoping that his tenure at the Times will be as accommodating and as encouraging for his analytical style and sense of humor as it has been for Manohla Dargis.

Hopefully they gave him Canby’s old office.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's great that he got a job there. Maybe it's jealousy on my part, but just read this part of his review of Children of Men:

"When it began, I dropped my notebook and pen and bolted upright in my seat, and as it kept unreeling for several minutes without a cut, piling incident upon incident, moving from tight closeups to wide shots revealing a small army of foes chasing our beleaguered heroes, I began to lean forward, as if believing, on some level, that the extra centimeters gained by the change in posture would help me get closer to the movie, even enter the movie, like Alice stepping through the looking-glass."

I don't think I could ever bring myself to write anything that hokey...let alone allow anyone else to read it.