Wednesday, August 24, 2011

WHAT, THIS OLD THING? A GALLERY OF BIRTHDAY MOVIE T-SHIRTS


The Mrs. (with some help from Mom, my pal Katie, and even my own keen fashion instinct) went a little crazy with a T-shirt theme for my birthday this year, so much so that I just had to show some of them off. Some were not movie-related, like the beautiful transfer of the Mothers of Invention Weasels Ripped My Flesh album cover, or the lovely periwinkle blue tee featuring a faux-worn image of Alfred E. Neuman, or the Rush print reproducing the art from the Roll the Bones album. But the majority of them accessed my movie love in wonderful, sometimes obscure, sometimes one-of-a-kind ways, and those were the ones I thought you might want to see. Some I will not comment on-- if you get the reference you get it; if not, well, think on it and try again later. A couple of them need some 'splainin', and I will do my best. For now, feast your eyes and imagine how cool I'll feel (and probably how dorky I'll look) as I sport this year's line of birthday movie T-shirts.




While scavenging for last-minute supplies at a WalMart in Newport, Oregon at the beginning of my Oregon Coast bike ride, I spotted this lovely designer number on the rack in the menswear department. Unsure if I wanted to take on any more of a load at this point, I vowed to return in two days and if Chucky was still hanging there waiting for me I would take him home. That was Monday. I returned Wednesday. Chucky was still there. But he's not anymore. Now all I have to do is figure out how to wear the shirt without my youngest daughter seeing it.


Mom picked this one up while vacationing in Utah earlier this year. It may not be the most beautiful design, but it is a neat memento of the recently renovated Gem Theater in Panguitch, Utah, which was built in 1909. They even have their own Facebook page and an ice cream parlor in the lobby.






Katie, an Indiana University alumnus, had these authentic-looking Cutters T-shirts made up to celebrate the completion of our 60-mile Oregon Coast bike ride, and she unveiled them to me as a surprise the night before we left. When this pic was taken, the ride was over and we felt triumphant, like we'd just conquered our own Little 500, and I can say with certainty that she and I will be ready for more next year. What a way to turn 51, with so much adventure and so many adventurous fashion statements to drape around the coming year. I will be the envy of all who see me, I'm sure-- those who can avoid completely averting their eyes, that is! Thanks, Patty, Mom and Katie for dressing me up and helping to make my birthday truly memorable.

***********************************************

2 comments:

Taidan said...

I don't get Civic TV on my cable system. Do they still run that "Samurai Dreams" show? Or that show with Debbie Harry whipping people? I used to get a headache watching so much of that channel. A headache in this head, this head right here.

Dennis Cozzalio said...

Not sure, Taidan. I had to stop watching it myself. I just can't cope with the freaky stuff.