Sunday, March 15, 2009

"BEHIND THE BLOG" WITH SLIFR


The surprise I alluded to at the end of the previous post has been revealed. Nick Dawson, editor at the Films in Focus website, recently invited me to answer a few questions for the site’s recurring ”Behind the Blogs” series. Considering the company I’d be keeping—the series has previously cast a light on some of my favorite people in the blogosphere, including Campaspe, Michael Guillen, Tom Sutpen, Kimberly Lindbergs, Matt Zoller Seitz, Andrew Grant, David Hudson and Karina Longworth-- and the fact that I have long enjoyed the series myself, it was quite an honor to be asked, one which I immediately accepted. And now the results are up and running and available for bathroom reading or, if you have a printer, birdcage lining and/or laser-quality fish wrap. In the interview I reveal the story of this blog’s origin, some of my favorite posts, some thoughts about where blogging stands on the spectrum of serious journalism, and even whose blogs I can’t get through a day without at least peeking at (where a peek usually results in two or three hours of time spent reading and clicking with happy abandon). Check out Yours Truly, humble interview subject in the latest edition of Films in Focus’s ”Behind the Blogs.”

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terrific interview, Dennis! I'm so happy you've found this avenue for your writing, and an growing audience for it. Also seems to have made your life more fun; unquestionably it's connected you with some great people. I've always admired the way you keep the conversation civil (despite the occasional attempt by some errant reader to do otherwise). Long may SLIFR thrive!

Anonymous said...

I told you you were destined for greatness. Right on Dennis. Make Bluto proud.

Michael Guillen said...

Congratulations, Dennis! Long overdue and well-deserved. I'm so glad "Behind the Blog" contacted you.

bill r. said...

This is well-deserved, Dennis. Don't question your place among those other bloggers interviewed in the past. Yours is the first genuine film blog I ever read -- how long ago was it?? -- and I loved it then and I love it now.

Bob Westal said...

I'm surprised it took them this long to get to you.

Congratulations and nicely done.

Greg said...

I actually read this a few days ago and wanted to thank you for mentioning me as one of your blog reads. Like Bill this was the first movie blog I commented on followed by Scanners. There's something about you and your blog that is inviting to the novice commenter, a feeling that no matter what the comment it will be appreciated and welcomed. And I still feel that way every time I come here.

Remember when Bill and I would go back and forth in the comments here? Of course, now with our own blogs it doesn't happen as often (Mainly Bill's fault though, like most things) but still, my first real blogging interaction memories are here.

Anonymous said...

It's about time you were featured there!

It was a great interview and I enjoyed reading it. You're one of the most friendly and generous people in the blogosphere and I'm thankful for the kind and encouraging words about my own writing efforts.

Cheers to you and your always excellant blog, Dennis!

Greg said...

And since this was the first movie blog I commented on it may as well be the last too. It's only fitting. As Jonathan Lapper I mean. See you later when I'm me. Thanks again Dennis.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous interview, Dennis. It's truly a well-deserved honor; as Bill said, you belong in the company of those other folks. And thanks for the shout-out: I'm humbled.

Ryan Kelly said...

You're much to modest, Dennis!

Just to echo some other commenters here, it seems to be pretty common knowledge that Cozallio is among the most knowledgeable and pleasurable to read authors to come out of the blogelution.