Everyone loves a pop quiz. Well, that may not exactly be true, but nobody seems to mind one that gets us thinking about the movies, the ones we love to think about, the ones that inform our lives and make it better, the ones that mean the most to us. Well, there are questions in the quiz below that may address some of those movies. But there are also questions below that are meant only to jog your memory, make you make associations, perhaps bring up an aspect of the movies, or going to the movies, that you’d set aside as trivial or perhaps hadn’t ever given much thought to (and probably for a good reason). There are no right answers to this quiz, just your answers. And, unlike the pop history exam in Mr. Hand’s class, if you check back on this page over the next few days you’ll get a chance to peek over to someone else’s desk and see their answers without getting yelled at in front of other students, drawing detention, or having the teacher stop by your house at an inopportune time for an impromptu catch-up lesson to help make up for having wasting his time in the classroom. Everyone is invited to drop their answers in the Comments column below, regular posters to this site, those who regularly lurk and don’t usually comment, or anyone else stumbling across this site for the first time. You can provide short, concise responses, or you can elaborate to your heart’s content, and if you feel the need and have the time to elaborate, please do—those are often the answers that are most fun for the rest of us to read. So now, class, pencils ready? Have an excellent Easter weekend… and begin.
1) The one movie you’d drop everything just to see again.
2) The one movie you never want to see again under any circumstances.
3) The most treasured DVD in your personal collection.
4) The most coveted DVD you like to add to your collection.
5) Best NYC movie?
6) Best LA movie?
7) Best movie ever made in or about your home state, or country?
8) Humphrey Bogart or Jimmy Cagney?
9) Best movie remake?
10) The one movie you’d most like to see remade, and by whom (director, cast).
11) Best integration of an existing piece of music into a movie.
12) Most unwelcome pop song typically used in a movie montage.
13) Movie that made you want to change your life, or the world.
14) Katherine Hepburn or Carole Lombard?
15) Your father’s favorite movie.
16) Your mother’s favorite movie.
17) The movies’ most handsome leading man or character actor, and the role which most perfectly featured him.
18) The movies’ most beautiful leading lady or character actress, and the role which most perfectly featured her.
19) Jimmy Stewart or Cary Grant?
20) Your favorite actor who almost nobody knows about.
21) Your favorite actress who almost nobody knows about.
22) The movie you love that everyone else seems to hate.
23) The movie you hate that everyone else seems to love.
24) Your most memorable moment related to the movies.
25) Your most unpleasant moment related to the movies.
26) Most revolting eating scene in a movie.
27) Joan Crawford or Bette Davis?
28) Your favorite sports movie.
29) Your favorite movie sex scene.
30) Your favorite movie car chase.
31) Your favorite death scene.
32) Your favorite movie gross-out.
33) Your favorite movie rating.
34) Your favorite movie theater.
35) Your favorite movie snack.
36) Your favorite movie speech.
37) Your favorite movie about movies.
38) Your favorite Hammer horror movie.
39) Your favorite Kurt Russell Disney movie.
40) Your favorite Dean Jones Disney movie.